Public and patient involvement and engagement is rooted in our values and culture. Our activities engage and involve diverse audiences in our research, supporting our collaborative research culture and ensuring accountability.
The impact of the pandemic and support from our Public Engagement Consultant has facilitated an evolution in our approach from one-off/shorter term activities to meaningful involvement and co-production of resources with our audiences for mutual benefit.
We are proud of our passionate, diverse community of staff and students who take part in these activities as it enables greater creativity and demonstrates that science is by everyone and for everyone.
Generating interest in science and scientists amongst young people
We break down barriers, highlight the value of science to every day life and engage young people with the variety of accessible careers available in science.
- Animating Science
- Baldragon Academy Partnership
- Cell Biology games & schools engagement
- Immersive Cell Art-Science Workshops
These face-to-face activities focus on young people locally, while our online STEM activities reach young people nationally and other schools engagement activities we have organised have engaged young people in offshore Scotland (Orkney), Ireland, England and in the Himalayas, India.
In addition to our key programmes of activities, our staff and students lead on and participate in numerous other public engagement activities, including:
- Schools outreach
- Hosting work experience pupils
- Collaborative art-science projects
- Participation in festivals (online and in person)
- Participation in community events
- Patient engagement and involvement activities
- MRC PPU visits and lab tours
- Supporting fundraising events
- Digital communications (podcasts, blogs, individual social media activities)